In the seventh edition of our Tokyo 2021 Summer Games series; today we talk about Srihari Nataraj, the Indian Swimmer. Tokyo Olympics are the thirty second edition of the Summer Olympic & Paralympic Games which were initially scheduled in 2020 but the global pandemic Corona got it postponed by a year almost. The rescheduled edition is planned during July 23- August 8. Here are a few things about Srihari Nataraj that you may not know about him:
Srihari Nataraj was born on January 16, 2001 at Bengaluru, the capital city of Karnataka State of India. His father Nataraj Venkataraman, an employee of NLCIL, is a former national athlete. His mother Kalyani is a former state level junior volleyball player in Tamil Nadu. This was a brief about Srihari Nataraj’s personal life.
Srihari Nataraj was part of the Indian Swimming team at the 2017 Asian Indoor Games; the event was held in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. He wouldn’t exhibit a podium finish at the event as would be the result a year later at the Asian Games 2018, Commonwealth Games 2018 and Summer Youth Olympics 2018 at Buenos Aires, Argentina. Nataraj would, however, keep reaching the top tournaments as he would qualify for the World Aquatics Championships 2019 at Gwangju, South Korea, but this would again be a medal-less quest.
Srihari Nataraj, two years later, at the 2021 Sette Colli Trophy in Rome, he would become the second Indian swimmer to clear the ‘A’ standard of the FINA “A” Olympic qualification time as he would finish with a time of 53.77s in the men’s 100m backstroke time trial event. Sajan Prakash was the first Indian Swimmer to achieve this, also from this event at Rome. He was coached by AC Jayarajan, now Nihar Ameen coaches him as he is supported by Target Olympic Podium Scheme of Government of India. This was a brief about Srihari Nataraj’s sports career.
Still early days of his career, here are a few highlights of Srihari Nataraj career:
1. Srihari Nataraj has a few national records to his name, which he attained while he was competing at the World & Asian level events.
2. In 2017, Nataraj was a member of Indian Swimming team at the 2017 Asian Indoor Games.
3. In 2018, Nataraj was a member of Indian Swimming team at the Asian Games, Commonwealth Games & Youth Olympic Games.
4. In 2019, Nataraj was a member of the Indian Swimming team at the World Aquatics Championships.
5. In 2021, Nataraj became the second Indian Swimmer to clear the FINA “A” standard for the Olympic qualification time.
6. In 2021, Srihari Nataraj became the second Indian Swimmer to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics.
These were a few things that you need to know about Srihari Nataraj. This was it for today, folks. We’ll be back with another story of incredible success with our next content on Indian Olympians. Stay tuned till then. Hope you’re liking the content we create for you. If you think you can contribute by sharing your thoughts and asking questions, feel free to put these into the comments boxes below the posts. Stay safe and healthy.
Hello Friends, join our Telegram Channel via this link:
Cricket, Football, Tennis and every popular sports news, views, opinions and updates at your finger tips.https://t.co/0dzACSB5V8
— SportsCrunch (@SportsCrunch) July 15, 2020